© Marcel Burkhardt
Sound knowledge of the distribution, population sizes and trends of birds in Europe and beyond is indispensable when it comes to evaluating the situation of breeding and visiting birds in Switzerland. We therefore collaborate closely with institutions in other European countries as well as with international organisations in the areas of monitoring and assessment. The Swiss Ornithological Institute is actively involved in several European projects.
- The second European Breeding Bird Atlas (EBBA2), a project of the European Bird Census Council EBCC, documents the distribution and abundance of breeding birds across Europe. It also illustrates the changes that have occurred over the last 30 years. The 967-page atlas is available for purchase for 90 euros: www.lynxeds.com/product/european-breeding-bird-atlas-2-distribution-abundance-and-change
- The EuroBirdPortal (EBP) tracks the spatial and temporal distribution of birds in Europe in near real time. EBP compiles the observations recorded on the various national online platforms in a European database. The EBP was developed with support from the Swiss Ornithological Institute.
- The population trends of Swiss breeding birds are incorporated into the Pan-European Common Bird Monitoring Scheme (PECBMS), which calculates Europe-wide trends for common breeding birds since 1980 based on national population indices.
- Waterbird counts are conducted worldwide every January. The results of the Swiss waterbird counts are incorporated into the global database of the International Waterbird Census IWC.
- Anselin, A., V. Keller, S. Herrando & P. Voříšek (2021): Tweede Europese broedvogelatlas (EBBA2): een nieuwe ornithologische mijlpaal. Natuur.oriolus 87: 25–32.
- Jiguet, F., P. Voříšek, V. Keller & S. Herrando (2021): EBBA2: le nouvel Atlas européen des oiseaux nicheurs vient de paraître. Ornithos 28: 48–52.
- Keller, V., H.-G. Bauer, S. Herrando & P. Vorísek (2020): Vogelneozoen - eine europäische Übersicht. Der Falke 67, Sonderheft: 8–12.
- Keller, V., S. Herrando, P. Voříšek, M. Franch, M. Kipson, P. Milanesi, D. Martí, M. Anton, A. Klvaňová, M. V. Kalyakin, H.-G. Bauer & R. P. B. Foppen (2020): European Breeding Bird Atlas 2: Distribution, Abundance and Change. European Bird Census Council and Lynx Edicions, Barcelona.
- Lehikoinen, A., L. Brotons, J. Calladine, T. Campedelli, V. Escandell, J. Flousek, C. Grueneberg, F. Haas, S. Harris, S. Herrando, M. Husby, F. Jiguet, J.-A. Kålås, Å. Lindström, R. Lorrillière, B. Molina, C. Pladevall, G. Calvi, T. Sattler, H. Schmid, P. M. Sirkiä, N. Teufelbauer & S. Trautmann (2019): Declining population trends of European mountain birds. Glob. Chang. Biol. 25: 577–588.