© Alexander Jaquemet
Getting hereWe do apologize for any inconvenience, such as waiting periods due to the measures concerning the Coronavirus.
Group visits are now possible for groups up to a maximum of 50 people. A reservation is necessary.
The Swiss Ornithological Institute lies in central Switzerland, north of Lucerne, near the town of Sempach on the shores of Lake Sempach.
By train and bus
- By train on the Olten–Lucerne line to Sursee. From the station in Sursee by Postbus to Sempach; get off at "Vogelwarte".
- Or by train on the Olten–Lucerne line to Sempach-Neuenkirch. By Postbus to "Vogelwarte".
- Motorway A2 Basel–Lucerne
- Exit Sempach
- Follow the blue sign that says "Sempach".
- By the city gate, follow the main road to the left, in direction of the lake.
- Car parks
- “Seevogtei” outside of the Old Town of Sempach (approx. 10 minutes’ walk)
- “Seebad” Sempach (approx. 5 minutes’ walk)
- The visitor centre and the bird care unit are situated on the banks of Lake Sempach, at Luzernerstrasse 6. All parts of the visitor centre are accessible for mobility-impaired visitors.
- The offices and library are in the building 200m to the south, at Seerose 1 (continue along the main road in direction of Sempach-Station; it’s the red building on the left).