© Alexander Jaquemet
The visitor centre is closed at present in order to avoid further spreading of the corona virus.
The Swiss Ornithological Institute lies in central Switzerland, north of Lucerne, near the town of Sempach on the shores of Lake Sempach.
By train and bus
- By train on the Olten–Lucerne line to Sursee. From the station in Sursee by Postbus to Sempach; get off at "Vogelwarte".
- Or by train on the Olten–Lucerne line to Sempach-Neuenkirch. By Postbus to "Vogelwarte".
- Motorway A2 Basel–Lucerne
- Exit Sempach
- Follow the blue sign that says "Sempach".
- By the city gate, follow the main road to the left, in direction of the lake.
- Car parks
- “Seevogtei” outside of the Old Town of Sempach (approx. 10 minutes’ walk)
- “Seebad” Sempach (approx. 5 minutes’ walk)
- The visitor centre and the bird care unit are situated on the banks of Lake Sempach, at Luzernerstrasse 6. All parts of the visitor centre are accessible for mobility-impaired visitors.
- The offices and library are in the building 200m to the south, at Seerose 1 (continue along the main road in direction of Sempach-Station; it’s the red building on the left).