© Marcel Burkhardt
The Swiss Ornithological Institute is a private non-profit foundation that is supported by public donations. We are a politically independent institution dedicated to the study and conservation of wild birds.
Our vision is to understand Switzerland’s native avifauna and to preserve its diversity for generations to come.
- We monitor and assess population trends of bird species in bird communities in Switzerland.
- We study the behaviour of birds and their relationships with the environment at breeding sites, on migration and in the wintering grounds.
- We establish scientific foundations for the conservation of birds and for the preservation and enhancement of habitats.
- We implement and support projects dedicated to the protection of threatened bird species.
- We report the findings to decision makers in science, politics, government and on the ground.
- We engage with the public on bird-related themes and inspire people to take delight in our native birdlife.
- We develop and support solutions for conflicts between birds and humans and treat wild birds in need of care.
- Encourage and foster collaboration with volunteer birdwatchers throughout Switzerland.
- Work together with kindred organisations, schools, government bodies and other partners at home and abroad.
- Use the funds entrusted to the Swiss Ornithological Institute by foundations, sponsors and other funding partners responsibly.
- Be friendly, helpful and competent in responding to queries from the general public.
- Ensure our actions are environmentally friendly, socially responsible and in line with quality standards.